DVD RELEASES: August 28-3

There are some great movies awaiting you digitally or on good old fashioned disc this week. Diane Keaton and Jane Fonda get fifty shades of freaky in Book Club, Upgrade showcases as the best sci-fi film of the year, Tag is funny, but might leave you queasy, and RBG is a portrait of a legend.

More after the jump….

000ff62d-800

Book Club

I reviewed this one in theatres, so here’s a bit of a teaser, and go to my review for more.

“The effect the tie-me-up, bondage book trilogy has on the women is nice to see unfold, and though perhaps a bit too sentimental, this film is certainly not without hilarity.

Diane Keaton, Mary Steenburgen, Candice Bergen and Jane Fonda are each incredible here, and all get decent stories to work with.

But it’s Bergen — far from Murphy Brown territory here — who surprises. Her comedic chops are on full display, and man, is she ever funny.”

3.5/5 Stars

1111

Tag

I also reviewed this one upon its June theatrical release, so here’s a snippet, but enjoy my full review also.

“These men, and by extension, their lovers (including the scene-stealing Isla Fisher and Leslie Bibb) will go to any lengths to win the game.

But about three-quarters of the way through, things got a little too dark for my liking, and crossed deeply into bad taste.

The thing about a film like this is it needs to strike and stroke the line between savagely funny and just savage.

While it’s the former for 85 per cent of its running-time, I wouldn’t be surprised if the other 15 per cent ruined it for some of you.”

3/5 Stars

Upgrade

This is quite possibly one of my favourite sci-fi movies ever, and my review makes it pretty clear you should see it.

“Logan Marshall-Green is an underappreciated actor who stole girls’ hearts in FOX drama The O.C. in the mid-2000’s. He’s gone on to build his resume with Prometheus, The Invitation, the latest Spider-Man, and now this role.

He is fantastic beyond belief here, showing both grief, fortitude, and a presence as an action star all in one singular role. He’s a dynamite character actor who better get more work, and soon.

Upgrade is just that: a serious overhaul of this sluggish summer season, and a film worth catching at any cost.”

5/5 Stars

film1820-rbg-1024x576

RBG

Sadly, Mongrel Media did not make RBG available in any format for review, so if you see this one, you’re going in blind.

I must say I do hear good things, though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s